Poondu Rasam Email this recipe
- Garlic – 25 pods peeled
- Tamarind extract – about 2 cups from a lemon sized tamarind ball
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Whole dry red chillies – 2
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp chopped
- Ingredients - Spice Powder
- Whole dry Red chillies – 4
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Whole black peppercorns – ½ tsp
- Bengal gram/Kadalai paruppu – 2 tsp
- Dry roast the ingredients under spice powder until the Bengal gram turns red. Cool and grind to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Heat a kadai. Pour in the tamarind extract, add salt and let it come to a gentle boil. Meanwhile fry the garlic pods in 2 tsp oil till golden around the edges. Remove from fire and set aside.
- When the tamarind extract comes to a boil, add the spice powder and stir. Let boil for 2 minutes. Tip in the fried garlic. Switch off.
- Now for the tempering, heat 1 tsp ghee and add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the red chillies and asafoetida. Pour over rasam. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
Recipe credits : http://foodbetterbegood.blogspot.in